Being a Sustainable salon, we are dedicated to making sure your own green and ethical values are met, our stylists all follow the same vision of one where we seek to inspire and to be inspired both creatively and consciously. Our products are cruelty, sulphate and paraben free and our Kevin Murphy colour line is also PPD free.
Going green has been a natural and resourceful progression for The Powder Room. Our setting is an historic building which was saved from demolition in 2005 during the construction of the Inner City Bypass. It has been brought back to life with the recycling of its original timber panelling and matai floors. With insulation, heating and cooling in an efficient clean way, the building has been moved and transformed into a comfortable, modern, character filled salon.
The interior of The Powder Room was custom built using recycled materials. The chandelier in the main salon is recycled 1950s hood dryers. Other features with a nod to the past include the front desk made from old glass shower doors, and the 1960’s shampoo chairs upstairs in the colour lounge. We used local craftspeople to create the waiting chairs, coat rack, coffee table, deco mirrors and signage. This helped local crafts people in work, saved on freight costs and fuel. The Powder Room is proud to have one off bespoke pieces for future generations.
Wherever possible, the salon uses recycled treasures and furniture but some salon fittings need to come from overseas. By purchasing high quality items, these become less likely to end up in the landfill.
We have been named as the Sustainable Salon of New Zealand twice and we are always seeking out ways to be more socially and environmentally responsible. Below are some of our commitments.
- We are proud to use Kevin Murphy colours, a company that has high sustainable practices for the industry. All the retail products we stock are cruelty, sulphate and paraben free
- We support and use a renewable energy company to run the electricity
- Our used magazines are donated to the City Mission
- Our left over product containers get filled with plants to generate oxygen
- We use eco friendly green cleaning products
- We use paper packaging and recycled paper
- Coffee is fair trade and organic
- We use reusable gloves
- We use rockfoil which is a NZ invention and a tinfoil alternative, and when we do use tinfoil we recycle it
- Lights and electrics are turned off when not in use
- Water flow reducers are fitted to basin taps
- Bills and statements come electronically
- The majority of our paperwork is undertaken electronically and any excess paper is shredded and donated to the SPCA for their puppies and rabbits to use
- We have systems in place for minimising all waste including composting, reusing and recycling
Follow us on Facebook to see what see we are up to